Monday, December 31, 2007

Love, The Bond of Perfection

My heart was moved with conviction as I heard the second reading at Mass yesterday. The conviction: that something in me needed to change.

"Brothers and sisters: Put on, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if one has a grievance against another; as the Lord has forgiven you, so must you also do. And over all these put on love, that is, the bond of perfection." Colossians 3: 12-14

Yesterday the Church celebrated the Feast of the Holy Family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph. The readings lead us to reflect on the areas of our family life that need improving. I could not help but think about my own family and how I've been failing in truly loving them. I felt the Lord calling me to love them as He loves me… without measure.

In the family of Jesus, we find the perfect model for family life. The second scripture reading, part of which I quoted above, gives us the formula for loving them. Saint Paul lists the virtues that characterized the love of the Holy Family - love that is compassionate, kind, humble, gentle and patient. Our Lord gives us the opportunity to express these virtues everyday in our family relationships. Each is a manifestation of His love…

Love is the summary of all things. It is the beginning, end and goal of everything. May Our Lord fill our hearts with a passionate love for Him, profound knowledge of His virtues and a sincere appreciation for the family with which we have been blessed.

+ Raquel Jimenez
Hard as Nails Ministries
New York, NY