Thursday, January 10, 2008

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Just last night I was about to head to bed for the night after a long day of work. It was 10pm, I turned off my light, pulled over the covers, closed my eyes, and just then... the phone rings.
***Ring***Ring***Ring***

"Hello?"
The voice on the other end of the phone began to tell me about the past 17 days and how he has been sober after fighting an alcohol addiction for 24 years.
"I'm telling you brother, 5-6 pints of 100 proof vodka each day. And ever since that night... nothing! It's a miracle man."
"That night" which he was referring to took place 17 days ago with another late night phone call from (let's call him) Jay. Jay called me after watching the HBO film Hard as Nails and was pouring out his heart about his struggle to overcome alcoholism and the effect that it was having on his family. His wife and children were not home for Christmas this year. We prayed together that night on the phone - two brothers crying out to the Lord to PLEASE HELP.
"I am telling you Tim, I know that you were tired that night, but staying awake with me, listening to me, and praying with me... it made a difference. Thank you."
You know what, I WAS tired that night. I was REAL tired that night. I even questioned as I went to bed that night whether I could have prayed "harder" for Jay. Can I be real with you all? Ok. Well... I ask the Lord for these opportunities to serve Him but often the Lord provides those opportunities at the wrong time - like 11pm at night after a long day of working to serve Him. A true saint would jump at the opportunity to serve the Lord no matter what the time or inconvenience. I guess it is true that the Lord's POWER is made perfect in our weakness.

-Tim Hanley
Hard as Nails Ministries
Newark, NJ