Friday, January 4, 2008

Smile and nod.

Just the other night I was chilling outside the Hard as Nails office in Newark, NJ on the streets. Now if you know 8th Street in Newark... enough said. So this guy is walking toward me face to the ground but eyes right on me. I am thinking "Aight, who's this character? Never seen him before." As he approaches I have three options, either (1) look the other way and pay no attention (most common), (2) stare him down as he does the same to me (not a great idea), or (3) smile, say hello, and wish him a happy new year. So, I take a chance and smile, "What's up bro? Happy New Year man."

Why am I so afraid of rejection? There's something in me that hesitates and wonders "well what if he doesn't want me to say hello and just keeps walking." Can you relate? When I was in college, me and a best friend used to tally the number of smiles we could get from people walking down campus. If you got a look that was 1 point (at least they acknowledged you), a smile was 2 points, and if you got a smile and a simple "hey" you hit the jackpot. It was amazing how people would do whatever they could to avoid eye contact and any type of interaction. "Hey there, how's it going?"... and absolutely no response, as if I were talking to a wall. We've done the same thing in Manhattan and I think 4 points is the current High Score.

Anyway, back to the other night in Newark. So after my comment, Mr. Thug Daddy turns to me and quickly his snarl turns into a smile and he stops in mid stride, turns back around to give me daps, and says,
"Yeah, happy new year to you too."

"Thanks bro, God bless you tonight. Stay outta trouble."

"Yeah I will. God bless you too my brother."
Bless somebody today who you don't know and make them smile with a nice word of encouragement. The Lord calls us out of our "comfort zone" in order to make a difference in the lives of others. When we are a little uncomfortable, it makes us turn to the LORD and rely on Him all the more. I mean heck its a small challenge, but I bet it will go a long way.

-Tim Hanley
Hard as Nails Ministries
Newark, NJ