Saturday, January 5, 2008

Shadows.

You can't see me.

The reflections of this man stand
about 12 feet,
making it seem as if I can understand
the plan of the Lamb
to see me be... slaughtered.

I spread my arms to embrace
a life of what ifs and maybes,
and in doing so the only surety is revealed
in the shadow of this act - the cross.

I wish to gaze heavenward at the Glorious Christ
manifesting Himself in Splendor
and Majesty - the Resurrection and
an uncertain understanding of suffering redeemed.

Instead, my eyes fix themselves downward
upon the shadow of redemption itself,
the instrument by which those sufferings
can make sense.

I seek to run
from the shadow,
to the only refuge - darkness -
yet even there it exists
though not perceived with lack of light.

Truth revealed and hard learned -
stretch my arms out
to embrace love in the light,
and become the one
who casts the shadow of the cross
before my own self.

-Tim Hanley
Hard as Nails Ministries
Newark, NJ